Catalina Island, Avalon Pier

Here is one of my favorite places. This is the green pier in the Avalon Bay. This little painting is a reminder to me that simple is better. I never meant for it to be a keeper, but just a study of the pier's shape and distinctive color. I put down what I saw quickly but decisively. And that is why it worked. Instead of over thinking the scene, I just went with what I know. I really like this piece, and it makes me smile remembering wonderful times I have had on the Island of Catalina outside of L.A. Now to get that same freshness, clarity of color only on a canvas
4'x 5' !!! Don't let the size of the canvas be an issue at all as to what goes on it or how. Treat them the same with the same plan for strong composition, placement, no matter if it is a 6"x8" little canvas board that hardly fits on the easel or a canvas measured in feet. Easier said than done, but it does help to force yourself to switch sizes regularly with in the same week if possible. Try it. At first it will make you crazy.

Comments

Popular Posts