Estes Park Painting

Here I thought we had wacky weather in Arizona. It rained non-stop for three days here in the Denver area. Then it actually snowed on the peaks above Boulder & Estes Park with a high of 46 degrees in Estes. This Wed. the temps will be in the high 80's. This country from Boulder up Hwy 36 is unbelievably beautiful. I painted at a rest area overlooking Boulder and the peaks to the north. The sun trying to get through the clouds revealed gleaming snow on the peaks. Cars on the highway actually slowed with people pulling off to take pictures. I was able to finish an OK piece there, with a few nats mixed into the paint. After all that rain they were out in force. Yesterday I headed up the road in the Rocky Mountain National Park, Hwy 34. Along the roadside was a heavy flowing waterfall. Tumbled with sticks and large rocks, aspens on the edges and wildflowers getting caught up in the water. Painted there for about two hours. I notice that paintings will often seem to have a strong start with strong values, then get weak as I blend too much, then finish strong when I go back to the strong value contrasts. Now if I could only get rid of the dull part and learn to leave well enough alone. I will post those pictures as soon as I resize the images. I have two paintings done ready for frame and need one more. They will be in the gallery in Estes , Earthwood Collections, see for more info www.earthwoodartisans.com.
Seems like late August is a good time to visit this National Park. There are lots of camping spots and the trails are busy but not like they were two weeks ago. Once the kids all get back in school the roads open up and the weather is still nice. Be ready thought for change, as I found out, sunny warm then wham in comes a big cold front. Check out the website
www.wunderground.com for the latest images of weather patterns. REAL helpfull, and up to the minute information. Also check out the webcam on www.mcgregormountainlodge.com . These cabins are reasonably priced, very clean and just outside the entrance to the Park and close to town. Very quiet at night since it is located on the road going into the Park. This Park and the town of Estes Park is a great location for a getaway. Wonderful views, fun shopping, good food/brewery, hiking and overwheming painting views.

Comments

Popular Posts