Small Studies-Snow Scenes-Southwest Art

Though I love the challenge of painting snow, I don't really enjoy standing in it, my feet turning blue and numb, feeling like I need to hurry so I can get warm. But, the good thing about that is I am forced to make the call, make a decision and get that paint down right the first time. I painted last spring in Santa Fe in early March. It was so cold, my last day there I painted in Hyde Park which is 10 miles uphill (colder) outside of Santa Fe. The snow was knee deep and I was so cold. After watching others who seemed to be not as cold as I , it became quickly apparant that I was not dressed right at all. My boots are desert boots, not snow, I wore jeans, which the cold went right through. The painting I did that day actually turned out to be real good. Mainly because I didn't spend one minute of time overworking it. Snow is falling in northern Az. now so it looks to be a good snow season. I will head up for more painting, dressed hopefully more prepared! The finished pieces will be in a show at the Artistic Mystic in Chandler. Deborah Silvas is having me as a featured artist to celebrate my paintings being shown in the upcoming Southwest Art Magazine. This Feb. issue will have 8 artists and their snow scenes, and I am fortunately one of the artists chosen. I will post all the winter scenes in the show on my website and on this blog. This little gouache painting is of one of the old lovely missions in New Mexico. Christmas is next week, hard to believe the time goes by so fast. I realize that all I can do it paint a dim reflection of what I see out there. But I hope that reflection sparks a wonderful memory, or creates a new one for you the viewer. Merry Christmas, sit back a bit and appreciate all that you have been blessed with.

Comments

Popular Posts