Summertime means Holllyhocks

We have been so fortunate this year with our spring. Usually we have freezing nights then suddenly in one weekend, it is HOT. Not this year, wonderfully warm days, cool evenings and the best part is the hollyhocks are coming up. This will be the 5th year for these and the flowers started out a deep purple, this generation looks like they are white. Time to put in some fresh seed. Can't wait to paint them though. Myself and 2 other women have a show the "Impressionist Challenge" the first week of June at the Joyous Lake Gallery. I plan to paint in my yard, also a ranch scene, all much larger than I usually work. I can easily drag an easel and large canvas back onto the back porch then back out the next day. Same time, same place. If you are comfortable working in one size, make yourself try much larger or much smaller. It can be a bit uncomfortable but that space is treated no differently. Make yourself get out of the comfort zone, you might discover that you are very good at painting small. This is all because my son Tony has been bugging me to paint BIG, he even bought be a huge canvas that has been a clothes line for the last year. My mentor & friend, Darlene Swaim gave me a huge easel. No excuse now! So I'll let you know how it goes. Big brushes for sure. Thanks Tony & Darlene. You both push me to work in ways I'm not sure I want to go.

Comments

Popular Posts