Daniel Ochoa - Total control of values

I am always drawn to paintings with strong contrast, but cleverly used. Not obvious. Here is another painting by Daniel Ochoa. He has values totally under control and not afraid to use them to create the atmosphere he wants. I struggle with that, and I tend to paint high key. This next outing I am going to make myself try a piece with much stronger contrast. If you find you are always painting with in a certain range - that isn't a bad thing - only if that is all you can do. Can you make yourself push the values and still keep good composition, and emotion? This painting sure does. Check out more of Daniels work at www.danielochoa.com I own one of his little pieces and it is wonderful. Get onto his email list and he will send you images of paintings he has just finished, small little works that are jewels. Every time I see his work I feel challenged in what I am doing. That I am playing it too safe, hate to say a bit boring- ugh- time to push it. Do the same. Go paint.

Comments

Popular Posts